Thursday, December 3, 2009

New Revelation... Kids = Fun?

So, I had a revelation today. Really, really caught me off guard. A guy at my work was asking me when I was due. He's nearly 70 and has a grown daughter as well as a son in his 20s and another son who is about 19.

He said it seems like one minute you are having them, then time passes and you look back at pictures of them as babies and think, "that was the best time." He said that the time was "so fun" and everything was fun --going on vacations to fun kid places and so on.

And he made me think about it in a whole new light.

Since I've never been a person who loves kids or desperately wanted to have children, I never really stopped to consider the fun you can have with kids. Of course, I've thought that having my own child would have many fun and cute moments and it would be fullfilling and enjoyable, but I also tend to focus on the hard work and challenges. And, having been resistant to the idea of doing anything with kids for a long time, I'm starting to see the fun side. I'm starting to realize that this could be an opening to a world of fun I have never known. I will get to do fun kid things and I think that will make missing the adult things a little easier. I'm starting to think that while this is the beginning of a new chapter in my life, it's not necessarily a chapter filled with hard work, sleepless nights, and complaining about never getting to do anything fun anymore. Instead, I see it as a new chapter of fun--one that will require some effort and adjustment, but also one that will open up a whole new world to me that I'll get to enjoy and be a part of. And, that's kinda cool.

And, it doesn't rule out adult fun altogether. It just adds a new dimension and flavor to my already varied and busy life. And I like that. I'm looking forward to it!

No comments:

Post a Comment