Thursday, September 24, 2009

Baby Shower Alternatives...

So, I've been thinking a lot about showers and registering and gifts and stuff lately. In all honesty, there isn't much I want people to get me at a shower. I don't want a lot of stuff, because my place can't really take the clutter. I would rather have the few things I absolutely need (like bottles, diapers, clothes, and a blanket) and not a bunch of random baby crap like a swing, walker, all that stuff.

I would prefer that gifts be:

1) what they couldn't live without when they had a baby or
2) something sentimental to them - like a book they loved or
3) something handmade.

Regarding these, how do I convey this message or create an environment where the focus is on having fun together and not the traditional gifting thing?

I was thinking about some kind of DIY baby party where everyone comes and makes something for the baby. People who sew can sew a crib sheet or diaper cover, for example. People who knit can make a baby hat, blanket, or sweater. People who don't do either can work on a craft project for baby or cut out fabric for the sewers. But, that begs the question of how much time would that take? It's almost like a series of baby parties... Just one would have to be a fairly simple project, like a diaper cover maybe. And, if they wanted to bring something themselves, they could...

I think that would be more fun than a baby shower and certainly would accomplish the purpose of bringing people together to celebrate the baby coming... Thoughts?

1 comment:

  1. If you don't want a lot of stuff, you can set up an education fund that people can contribute towards in lieu of gifts.
    Also, a fun activity would be to decorate plain bibs, white onesies (different sizes), or other clothing items using fabric markers/paints. Here are some sites that break out the steps and give suggestions for decorating onesies:
    1. http://www.ehow.com/how_2060634_decorate-onesie.html
    2. http://www.rookiemoms.com/design-your-own-baby-clothes-part-2/

    ReplyDelete