Thursday, January 14, 2010

Week 32: Back to Reality

Well, this week was a little less eventful than other weeks. Mostly, I just worked very hard on a big project that was due for work. But there are a few new developments on the baby front.

For one, we finished our birthing class this week, and yet, I find myself barely ready for giving birth. I feel informed and well-equipped, but I just cannot imagine this baby coming out. I feel no Braxton-Hicks contractions or major discomfort that makes me think, "Get this baby out!" I guess when the time comes I will just know, but right now, I feel as though I'm in denial. I'll just be pregnant forever. Yes, I think that will work for me! Haha!

I finally decided that I will start maternity leave on February 15 (my birthday!). Which is not a moment too soon. Work has become pretty stressful for me. My boss is not a very good communicator and I find myself very intimidated when I'm talking to her. In general, I think she is a good boss, but often her comments leave me wondering, "Does she think I'm an idiot?" I think our personalities must clash or something and I'm more sensitive to it being pregnant, I think. I really like what I do though, so I'm happy to do it for awhile. It's just that I'm ready to start focusing on baby stuff! I want to finish buying baby items, get them all organized and washed and be ready for baby!

My mom is making plans to come out and visit a few days after my due date. That was the date the midwife recommended, since it is likely that I will give birth past my due date. I think I will too. I have always maintained I will have the baby on March 11 (I'm due March 4), so we shall see!

Baby is really kicking strong this week. Aaron, my husband, said he's never heard me react as much as I did this week to the kicks. Often when she kicks, it's so strong it startles me. This weekend she kicked me on my left side (normally she kicks to the right) while I was laying on that side and I thought briefly I'd somehow laid on something sharp. Turns out it was her foot I laid on! I jumped up very high, much to his amusement. All week long I've been feeling rolling sensations and strong concentrated pressure in the form of a foot all over my belly. It's kind of fun, but it's starting to be a little uncomfortable. I'm trying to enjoy it, though. I really do love feeling her and I love that it means she's healthy in there!

I've also been reading more baby books. There's a lot to learn, but I am really starting to understand more about what my role will be as a mother and I feel better equipped by it. Aaron is reading some of the books too. Right now I'm reading Secrets of the Baby Whisperer which is REALLY good so far. I highly recommend it.

One more exciting thing! Aaron's department at work decided to throw us a baby shower. I figured my coworkers would probably not do something like that (I'll be lucky to get a card), but I never even thought about his. So, we will have it on February 9--my last week before leave. And a few weekends before that we will be having my regular shower. I can't wait to see what I get, because I'm ready to buy up the big stuff people don't get, but I don't want to do it until I know exactly what I have and don't have (and what I can return and be able to get store credit for). So, it's very exciting. I'm so excited!
--

No comments:

Post a Comment